To vote, one must:
- Be a Maryland resident
- Be 16 years old to register, 18 years old on or before the general election to vote
- Municipal elections require their voters to be 18 at the time of the election
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have never been convicted of buying or selling votes
- If convicted of other felonies, you are not currently serving a court-ordered sentence of imprisonment. (Effective March 10, 2016)
Updating your Registration
Voters are responsible for maintaining their registration by notifying the office of any address, name and party affiliation changes. Visit our Voter Services to check the status and accuracy of your voter registration.
Updating Your Registration
All registration changes must be signed and postmarked no later than 21 days prior to to any Primary, General and Municipal Election. Please see our Election Calendar for specific deadlines.
Changes can be submitted via:
- Maryland State Board of Elections’ online application
- Voter Notification Card (VNC): Record name, address and party affiliation changes on the reverse side of your VNC, sign it and return the card to our office
- Returning a print application to our office